GALS Inc. across the nation
GALS Inc. is committed to preparing a unique and diverse generation of well-educated and motivated young women for innovative citizenship and leadership in our global society. Our team is comprised of people who model the core values and worldview of our work across the nation and around the globe.
Chief visionary officer and founder, GALS Inc.
- Director of internal communications of Comverse
- Project manager for international political leader
- Chief Visionary Officer of GALS Inc.
- Captain of the Brown University field hockey team from 1985-1989
- Contributor to “Nevertheless, We Persisted,” to be published by Knopf in 2019
I was looking for a home both professionally and personally that expressed my desire to integrate body and intellect in a way that is organic to the feminine. The idea of shaping the next generation of young women by garnering the power of school every day—to me it is the idyllic implementation of Title IX.
Founder and head of GALS Denver Middle School
- Worked as Chief of Staff for State Senator Mike Johnston
- Division 1 Rugby Player at Brown University from 2005 to 2009
- Founder of GALS Inc.
- Worked as RTI Coordinator, Director of Special Education, Director of Health and Wellness, Director of Student Life, and Head of the Middle School at GALS Denver
GALS Inc. emerges as a response to the clear educational needs of our time. The schools teach the integration of the intellectual, physical, and creative spirits urging each student forward on a path of achievement and personal fulfillment. This will motivate and inspire young women to develop into the healthy and strong innovators, educators, and leaders of the future.
Head of the GALS Inc. board, educational and nonprofit consultant
Los Angeles, California
- Head of Marlborough School for 25 years (grades 7-12 independent, college-preparatory girls’ school in Los Angeles, CA)
- Implemented innovative programs in science, humanities, and social sciences to empower young women
- Developed a leadership program to provide young women with skills to build their confidence as visionary, capable leaders
- Expanded programs in science and mathematics education to develop confidence and competence in young women
I believe GALS Inc. is empowering each young woman in the schools to become the best person and student she can become. The expertise of the teachers and the role-modeling/mentoring they provide is awe-inspiring. The emphasis on Embodied Education in which the mind and body are integrated is impressive. It is humbling to witness the positive effects on GALS students!
Montessori educator, project manager and bureau liaison
- Montessori Educator
- Upper Elementary Level Coordinator
- Teacher Mentor and Advisor
- Montessori Model UN Project Manager
GALS Inc. is the opportunity for all individuals to learn in a safe and developmentally appropriate environment. Support for community, connection to others, and individual reflection empower GALS students to reach their potential as human beings.
Ft Lauderdale, Florida
- Founder of Nationwide Paging Inc.
- Founded nonprofit Heal The Planet Together
- Founder and past Co-Chair of Broward County Real Estate Division
- Co-Creator One Whole Peace
- Completed Master’s program in Spiritual Psychology at University of Santa Monica
I believe that by playing a part in educating, inspiring, and empowering our youth, I can create the largest positive impact within our society and on our planet. GALS Inc. is uniquely positioned to improve the odds of their students to function in the real world and, more importantly, to ensure their success as leaders and create happy, meaningful, and fulfilling lives.
Chief financial officer, The Rivers Project
First Woman to head a G7
Project Director for Pope John Paul’s World Youth Days
CFO to 17 political campaigns
Ran largest early AIDS education campaign in sub-Saharan Africa
I was a poor kid in Boston who went to a public, single-gender school, and I believe it changed my life.
- Vice President and Assistant General Manager of the Denver Nuggets
- Senior Vice President Team Marketing and Business Operations of the National Basketball Association
- Senior Vice President and COO of the Women’s National Basketball Association
- Developed and implemented the first NBA All-Star Saturday Event
Having spent my professional career in a male-dominated industry, I know it is important for young girls and women to learn and develop the confidence to realize that their gender is not an impediment to success in any industry.
Brown University, director of global sport
Providence, Rhode Island
- Director of the Society of Royce Fellows and the Royce Fellowship for Sport and Society at Brown University
- Director of Faculty Engagement at the Swearer Center for Public Service at Brown University
- Associate Professor of Liberal Arts at Lasell College in Newton, MA
- Head Coach of the Brown University Women’s Rugby Team
- Co-founder and Director of Camp Colors (1993-2001), a summer-day program for pre-school children living with HIV/AIDS
I firmly believe in the vision and mission of GALS Inc. and the recognition that gender plays a significant role in teaching and learning.
Student at Northwestern University
Denver, Colorado/ Evanston, Illinois
- Former pioneering student in the first class at GALS Denver Middle School
- Journalism major at Northwestern University
- Peer Health Educator in Chicago Public Schools
- Reporter for the Daily Northwestern
In the three years I spent at GALS, I gained a sense of confidence and community that propelled me to redefine my passions, values, and goals. My focus on humanism, girls’ education, and health originates from the formative years I spent surrounded by the incredible GALS community.
Executive director emeritus, Los Angeles Leadership Academy
Los Angeles, California
- Founded Los Angeles Leadership Academy (K-12, 900 students) with 100% free or reduced lunch participation and 100% graduation and college acceptance
- Founding Member of California Charter Schools Association Legal Defense Fund
- Developer of Dual Language Immersion Curriculum and Single-Gender Math Curriculum for Girls
- 20-year adjunct law professor at Seton Hall University School of Law
- First Federal Public Defender for the District of New Jersey
I’m a strong believer in single-gender education for girls, particularly in those communities demonstrating cultural shyness.
- Director of School Partnerships for Revolution Foods in Denver
- Spent several years in Silicon Valley start-ups and technology companies managing the opening of two facilities and working as a corporate financial analyst
- Consultant for new charter school leaders
- Graduate of San Francisco State‘s Muir Alternative Teacher Education Program (MATE), University of San Francisco’s Teacher Education for the Advancement of a Multicultural Society (TEAMS), and AmeriCorps
- Founding teacher at KIPP San Francisco Bay Academy and a third grade teacher for Aspire Public Schools in East Palo Alto, CA
After working with several high-performing charter school organizations, I realized something was missing for our most at-risk students, but I was not sure what exactly it was. Then, I met Liz and Nina and was introduced to GALS. It was the whole package, supporting girls socially, emotionally, physically, and academically. I am so excited to see GALS Inc. expand and serve more students!
Finance director, CicLAvia
Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Finance Director for CicLAvia
- Executive Director for Partnership for Responsible Business
- Served on the founding team for New Mexico Green Chambers of Commerce
- Founder and CEO of Teres Kids
- Founder and CEO of Authentics Home
GALS Inc. creates an inclusive environment where growth is nourished through personalized attention and Embodied Education during a crucial time in a girl’s life. I’ve become a board member of GALS Inc. to make the opportunity a reality for more girls.
Co-founder and creative director, In This Together Media
- Founded In This Together Media and growing it to profitability while pushing diverse kids books into the world
- Named one of the Most Creative People by “Fast Company”
- Invited to the Obama White House twice to discuss gender and media
- Clerked for a United States Court of Appeals judge on the Third Circuit
- Author of “Chambermaid” (Grove Press), a novel that was translated into five languages and optioned for film by Warner Bros
GALS Inc. because feminism and secondary education go hand in hand beautifully, and GALS is the only game in the country doing it!
Student at the University of Redlands
Denver, Colorado/ Redlands California
- Community Activist
- Student Coordinator for Read Empower Attain Create Hope (REACH)
- Community Service Chair for SPURS National Honor society at the University of Redlands
- Field Campaigns intern with Voto Latino
- Colorado State Volunteer Ambassador to the 2016 Democratic National Convention
The greatest gift I ever received was my time at GALS in 7th and 8th grade. As a young woman, I was able to understand and experience an engaging and supportive community. In this community setting, I thrived academically, physically, and socially. I look forward to ensuring more students are empowered.
Principal, The Bernice A. Ray School in Hanover, New Hampshire
- Founding Director of Helping Kids Thrive
- Founding Principal of The Prosper Valley School, Pomfret VT (grades K-6)
- Principal of Chatham Middle School, Chatham MA, (grades 5-8)
- Author/Curriculum Designer of “Full of Ourselves: Advancing Girl Power, Health & Leadership” (Teachers College Press); “Making Art Together: How Collaborative Art-Making Can Transform Kids, Classrooms, and Communities” (Beacon Press); “Bullyproof: A Teacher’s Guide on Teasing and Bullying” (Wellesley College Centers for Women); “Flirting or Hurting: A Teacher’s Guide on Student-to-Student Sexual Harassment in Schools” (National Education Association)
- Adoptive single parent of extraordinary son (from Russia)
When I walk through the doors of GALS schools, I’m struck instantly by a sense of personal freedom, collective purpose, and far-reaching possibility. GALS Inc. is living proof of the power and amazingness of a school focused entirely on girls’ success and extraordinary capacities–intellectual, relational, physical, ethical. The habits of heart and mind and pledge, truly inspired and woven intentionally throughout all aspects of a GALS education, can and do transform girls’ lives.
Director of Equity and Inclusion, Caring for Colorado Foundation
- A loving human being
- Learned the power of forgiveness
- Proud a mother
- A 33-year career as a social work maverick
- Had her acting debut in Social Imagination during mid-life season.
GALS is a powerful space for personal, academic, and community exploration. Teachers tap into the passion, strength, and creativity of all students.
Founder, Front Porch Consulting and EOS Implementer, Meritage Funds
- First girl to play ice hockey in our regional upstate NY league
- Spent 25 years working in advertising agencies large and small, in NY, Boston, and Chicago, on every type of client from Fortune 25s to tiny start-ups, in every industry you can imagine
- Started, built, and sold local agency Agency Zero in Denver
- Spends time now as an EOS Implementer helping entrepreneurs get what they want out of their businesses
I have said it over and over again: I wonder what I could have become if I’d had had a GALS school when I was a kid. To see the confidence, self-awareness, ambition, intelligence, and pure guts of these pioneers inspires me to reach higher and work harder every day. Our education system is broken and having the opportunity to contribute in any way to a beacon of success like GALS Inc. is an honor.
Founder and principal, Charter School Growth Hub; partner, Civil Rights Solutions; senior national legal advisor, National Alliance for Public Charter Schools
San Francisco, California
- Junior high math teacher and tennis coach
- Public defender in state and federal court in New York City
- Launching and growing a civil rights consulting practice for public schools
- Launching and growing a charter support entity to assist high-quality operators with strategic growth
- Beginner – and persistent – surfer
When I walked into a GALS campus the first time, I immediately felt the energy, confidence, warmth, passion, curiosity, and humor given and received between the faculty and the students. There was love and respect for self and others in this community, and it was palpable. Plus, as an athlete myself, I feel deeply committed to the vision of growing a community of students who are empowered and embodied.