Empowering girls to succeed academically, lead confidently, live boldly, thrive physically.
Feminism is at the core of GALS Inc. as the belief in equal rights, physical well-being, and emotional safety for all. We believe that schools are the primary setting for the development and growth of young people today, and therefore schools are the place where change-makers are created. GALS Inc. serves students in our schools no less than seven hours a day, five days a week, and approximately 35 weeks a year. This equals, on average, 1,100 hours. We believe it will take that much investment in our young people in order to push forward the work of gender equity.
GALS Inc. is an organization that defines the “how to” of leadership by creating gender-based schools around the country that teach Embodied Education, defined by learning and living with our minds, our hearts, and our bodies.
GALS Inc. intentionally creates schools that serve students of all backgrounds and consults with organizations that are interested in Embodied Education and leadership.
Who we are and who we want to be is represented in our worldview:
- GALS Inc. defines feminism as advocating for basic security of girls and women and the promotion of equal access to financial and political power. Feminism is a nongendered term and can be endorsed and acted upon by all.
- GALS Inc. utilizes the synergy between movement and positive gender focus as the baseline for the school environment and pedagogy. We call this “Embodied Education.”
- At their core, GALS Inc. schools are about personalization, which is defined as all students being known well by the adults in the building. As a result, the schools can effectively differentiate and provide challenges and support based on the strengths and talents of each individual.
- GALS Inc. schools strive to be intentionally inclusive of all backgrounds: socioeconomic, religious, ethnic, gender identity, sexual orientation, and special learning needs. GALS believes that this diversity is the foundation for a strong learning environment in which students develop skills to engage in civil discourse and become civically active in our local, national, and international communities.
- GALS Inc. graduates are able to make choices and take actions that are aligned with their own personal values and aspirations. GALS graduates have deep self-knowledge along with strong skills in critical thinking and collaboration, which prepares them to make authentic choices and pursue their goals for the future.
of all GALS students believe they are smart
of all GALS students say they go to a good school
of all GALS students believe they will graduate from high school